Re: pg_dump far too slow - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Matthew Wakeling
Subject Re: pg_dump far too slow
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, David Newall wrote:
>   nohup time pg_dump -f database.dmp -Z9 database
>
> I presumed pg_dump was CPU-bound because of gzip compression, but a test I
> ran makes that seem unlikely...

There was some discussion about this a few months ago at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2009-07/msg00348.php

It seems that getting pg_dump to do the compression is a fair amount
slower than piping the plain format dump straight through gzip. You get a
bit more parallelism that way too.

Matthew

--
 I'm always interested when [cold callers] try to flog conservatories.
 Anyone who can actually attach a conservatory to a fourth floor flat