Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From david@lang.hm
Subject Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Anyone has any experience doing analytics with postgres. In particular if 10K
> rpm drives are good enough vs using 15K rpm, over 24 drives. Price difference
> is $3,000.
>
> Rarely ever have more than 2 or 3 connections to the machine.
>
> So far from what I have seen throughput is more important than TPS for the
> queries we do. Usually we end up doing sequential scans to do
> summaries/aggregates.

With sequential scans you may be better off with the large SATA drives as
they fit more data per track and so give great sequential read rates.

if you end up doing a lot of seeking to retreive the data, you may find
that you get a benifit from the faster drives.

David Lang