Re: Best suiting OS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Matthew Wakeling
Subject Re: Best suiting OS
Date
Re: Best suiting OS
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, 2 Oct 2009, Tom Lane wrote:
> Matthew Wakeling <matthew@flymine.org> writes:
>> The reason we switched that machine to Debian was due to the
>> postgresql-devel package being missing for Red Hat. We need that package
>> in order to install some of our more interesting extensions. A quick look
>> at http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/8.4/fedora/fedora-9-x86_64/ indicates that
>> this package is still missing.
>
> You switched OSes instead of complaining to the repository maintainer
> that he'd forgotten a subpackage?  You must have a lot of time on your
> hands.

Camel's back, straw.

Besides, both I and our sysadmin are much more used to Debian. We were
dealing with an old install of RH from our old sysadmin and couldn't be
bothered to work out the Red Hat Way(tm). Much easier to un-switch OSes.

Matthew

--
 I work for an investment bank. I have dealt with code written by stock
 exchanges. I have seen how the computer systems that store your money are