Re: Questions about encoding between two databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Archibald Zimonyi
Subject Re: Questions about encoding between two databases
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

> Archibald Zimonyi <arsi@aranzo.netg.se> writes:
>> I went into the generated dump file and (more wish then anything else)
>> tried to simply change the encoding from LATIN1 to UTF8 and then load the
>> file, it did not complain about incorrect encoding setting for the load,
>> however it complained that the characters did not match true UTF8
>> characters (which was almost what I guessed would happen).
>
> Indeed.  Do *not* change the client_encoding setting in the dump file.
> You can edit the ENCODING options in the CREATE DATABASE commands
> though.  (Didn't we explain this to you already?)
>
>             regards, tom lane

Well, I did send this query with an incorrect email address so it got
stuck and was never posted properly, so I have not seen any such reply.
Can you please explain again?

The ENCODING options in the CREATE DATABASE commands, yet these commands
exist in the dump file. I don't understand.

But yes, after my change, the databases schemas were all created with UTF8
so that part worked, but of course the actual text which was LATIN1 before
failed for those character sets where UTF8 differs from LATIN1, so it
still fails.

I will try using iconv as suggested in another reply, but shouldn't that
then mean I need to change the client_encoding (so that it matches)?

Archie