Re: performance for high-volume log insertion - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From david@lang.hm
Subject Re: performance for high-volume log insertion
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Stephen Frost wrote:

> Greg,
>
> * Greg Smith (gsmith@gregsmith.com) wrote:
>> The win from switching from INSERT to COPY can be pretty big, further
>> optimizing to BINARY you'd really need to profile to justify.
>
> Have you done any testing to compare COPY vs. INSERT using prepared
> statements?  I'd be curious to know how those compare and against
> multi-value INSERTS, prepared and unprepared.

and this is the rest of the question that I was trying (unsucessfully) to
ask.

is this as simple as creating a database and doing an explain on each of
these? or do I need to actually measure the time (at which point the
specific hardware and tuning settings become an issue again)

David Lang