Re: select on 22 GB table causes "An I/O error occured while sending to the backend." exception - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Matthew Wakeling
Subject Re: select on 22 GB table causes "An I/O error occured while sending to the backend." exception
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, david@lang.hm wrote:
>> Huh?  Each backend has its own socket.
>
> we must be talking about different things. I'm talking about the socket that
> would be used for clients to talk to postgres, this is either a TCP socket or
> a unix socket. in either case only one process can listen on it.

The postmaster opens a socket for listening. Only one process can do that.
When an incoming connection is received, postmaster passes that connection
on to a child backend process. The child then has a socket, but it is a
connected socket, not a listening socket.

Matthew

--
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.