Re: The state of PG replication in 2008/Q2? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From david@lang.hm
Subject Re: The state of PG replication in 2008/Q2?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, Mathias Stjernstr?m wrote:

> Hi Dan!
>
> Its true, many of the replication options that exists for PostgreSQL have not
> seen any updates in a while.
>
> If you only looking for redundancy and not a performance gain you should look
> at PostgreSQL PITR
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/backup-online.html)
>
> For Master-Slave replication i think that Slony http://www.slony.info/ is
> most up to date. But it does not support DDL changes.
>
> You may wich to look at pgpool http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/ it
> supports Synchronous replication (wich is good for data integrity, but can be
> bad for performance).
>
> These are some of the open source options. I do not have any experience with
> the commercial onces.

a couple of months ago there was a lot of news about a WAL based
replication engine. one that was closed source, but possibly getting
opened shortly, and also the decision by the core devs to add one into the
base distro.

what's been happening on this front?

from my understanding the first versions of this would not support queries
of the replica, but would provide for the consistancy needed for reliable
failover.

David Lang