Re: PG 9.0 release timetable - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: PG 9.0 release timetable
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 31 May 2010, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
>> On Mon, 31 May 2010, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> Well, they can just grab nightly snapshots and test, right?  I don't
>>> think a beta is fundamentally different from a nightly snapshot,
>>> source-code wise.
>
>> doesn't really give a good reference point for testing purposes ...
>
> It's also inferior from a documentation standpoint --- we don't update
> the release notes nightly.

There are three things that *have* to be involved in doing a Beta:

translation updated
release notes
tar ball

There doesn't need to be any web site announce or anything, only a note
out to -hackers that we have a new beta ready for testing ...

If we were to do that every 2 weeks, on a Friday, then any packagers that
are able to can get their package ready and up for testing ... but, for
those that are able to build from sources (I would hope any/everyone on
-hackers can handle that?), they would have a firm release to build / run
tests on that includes all bugs fixed in the previous 2 weeks ...

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org