Re: List traffic - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: List traffic
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 13 May 2010, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 2:04 AM, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 May 2010, Greg Stark wrote:
>>
>>> I'm thinking I'll move -general (and the useless -novice) to another folder. But I'm left wondering what to do with
-adminand -performance. They're a random mix of user content and developer content. I'll probably move them along with
-generalbut that means I won't be likely to see any development discussion on them in the future

>> There shouldn't be any dev discussions on them as it is ... that isn't their mandate ... those are/were meant to be
end-userlists, not developer ones ...

> We know from experience that doesn't work. People just end up
> crossposting, because they're not sure people are on both lists. And
> then you want to move a discussion, which just means you have to CC in
> both lists, leading to even more duplication.
>
> If there was a clear distinction between end-user and dev it might
> make sense. That how commercial software companies tend to work -
> don't let devs talk to end users. That's not how we work. Forcing
> people to look in different places just throws hurdles in front of
> those trying to help out.

What *are* you talking about?  This doesn't seem to have anything related
to what I said :)

All I was saying was that -performance and -admin are not development
discusion lists, not that developers aren't subscribed / talking on them
... that doesn't make them any less end-user lists ...

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org