Re: Getting to beta1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Getting to beta1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> I agree with Josh Berkus that vacuum_defer_cleanup_age should be in
>>> postgresql.conf.  We don't stop listing items just because they are
>>> dangerous, e.g. fsync, or to discourage their use.  I believe Greg Smith
>>> also felt it should be included.
>>
>> Or, let's put it another way: I've made my opinion clear in the past
>> that I think that we ought to ship with a minimal postgresql.conf with
>> maybe 15 items in it.  If we are going to continue to ship with
>> postgresql.conf "kitchen sick" version, however, it should include
>> vacuum_defer_cleanup_age.
>
> +1
>
> As usual, the postgresql.conf is entirely too full. We should ship with
> the top 15. If this gains any traction, I am sure that Greg Smith,
> Berkus and I could provide that list with nothing but a care bear
> discussion.

+1 ... but, why the 'top 15'?  why not just those that are uncommented to
start with, and leave those that are commented out as 'in the docs' ... ?

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy@hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy@hub.org