Re: Postgres 8.x on Windows Server in production - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Justin Pitts
Subject Re: Postgres 8.x on Windows Server in production
Date
List pgsql-performance
You'll almost certainly want to use NTFS.

I suspect you'll want to set the NTFS Allocation Unit Size to 8192 or
some integer multiple of 8192, since I believe that is the pg page
size. XP format dialog will not allow you to set it above 4096, but
the command line format utility will. I do remember setting it as high
as 64k for SQL Server on Windows Server 2003 (SQL Server does IO in
8-page units called extents)
Someone please correct me if I have that wrong.

Do not allow any indexing service activity on the data or transaction
log volumes. If this is a dedicated database server you may as well
turn indexing service off.

Don't enable compression on the data or transaction log volumes either.

Pay attention to Automatic Updates - you likely don't want your
database server to restart every 4th Wednesday morning or so.

Hope this helps,
Justin