Re: [PERFORM] query of partitioned object doesnt use index in qa - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: [PERFORM] query of partitioned object doesnt use index in qa
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 09/16/2017 12:05 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm wondering if we should extend the new CREATE STATISTICS
>> framework to be able to do that without requiring an index.
>
> I think that's already on the roadmap --- it's one of the reasons we
> ended up with a SELECT-like syntax for CREATE STATISTICS. But it
> didn't get done for v10.

Right. It's one of the things I'd like to be working on after getting in
the more complex statistics types (MCV & histograms).

> If we do look at that as a substitute for "make an expression index
> just so you get some stats", it would be good to have a way to
> specify that you only want the standard ANALYZE stats on that value
> and not the extended ones.

Not sure I understand what you mean by "extended" - the statistics we
collect for expression indexes, or the CREATE STATISTICS stuff? I assume
the former, because if you don't want the latter then just don't create
the statistics. Or am I missing something?

regards