Re: Role and grants - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Role and grants
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/09/2016 11:05 AM, Fran ... wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am a new user with PostgreSQL, I came from MySQL and I am experiencing
> some issues with roles and privileges.
>

> I have created a DB,user and grant privilege on this DB to this user.
> How could I check what is the privileges/permissions for this user?
>

> Transcript:
>

> postgres=# create database test;
> CREATE DATABASE
> postgres=# create user test with password 'test';
> CREATE ROLE
> postgres=# grant all privileges on database test to test;
> GRANT

My guess is the above is not doing what you think it is. See further
comments below for seeing what 'grant all privileges on database' gets you.

> postgres=# \l
>                                   List of databases
>    Name    |  Owner   | Encoding |   Collate   |    Ctype    |   Access
> privileges
> -----------+----------+----------+-------------+-------------+-----------------------
>  postgres  | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
>  template0 | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
> =c/postgres          +
>            |          |          |             |             |
> postgres=CTc/postgres
>  template1 | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
> =c/postgres          +
>            |          |          |             |             |
> postgres=CTc/postgres
>  test      | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
> =Tc/postgres         +
>            |          |          |             |             |
> postgres=CTc/postgres+
>            |          |          |             |             |
> test=CTc/postgres
>  test1     | test1    | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | =Tc/test1
>            +
>            |          |          |             |             |
> test1=CTc/test1
> (5 rows)
>
> With "\l" command It's no clear.

To understand the abbreviations see here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/sql-grant.html

Look for:

"The entries shown by \dp are interpreted thus:"

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com