Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Koichi Suzuki
Subject Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
If the version of the master and the slave is different and we'd still
like to allow log shipping replication, we need a negotiation if WAL
format for the two is compatible.      I hope it is not in our scope
and I'm worrying too much.

2008/6/5 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> "Koichi Suzuki" <koichi.szk@gmail.com> writes:
>> Well, WAL format doesn't only depend on WAL itself, but also depend on
>> each resource manager.   If we introduce WAL format version
>> identification, ISTM that we have to take care of the matching of
>> resource manager in the master and the slave as well.
>
> That seems a bit overdesigned.  What are the prospects that two builds
> of the same Postgres version are going to have different sets of
> resource managers in them?

------
Koichi Suzuki