Re: Allow COPY's 'text' format to output a header - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Allow COPY's 'text' format to output a header
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 05/14/2018 02:35 AM, Simon Muller wrote:
> Okay, I've added this to the next commitfest at
> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/18/1629/.
>
> Thanks both Michael and David for the feedback so far.

(Please don't top-post on PostgreSQL lists.)

I'm not necessarily opposed to this, but I'm not certain about the use
case either. The original request seemed to stem from a false impression
that CSV mode can't produce or consume tab-delimited files. But it can,
and in fact it's saner for almost all uses than text format. Postgres'
text format is really intended for Postgres' use. CSV format is more
appropriate for dealing with external programs, whether the delimiter be
a tab or a comma.

cheers

andrew