Re: What is this thing that is called a "Data Dictionary?" - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jasbinder Singh Bali
Subject Re: What is this thing that is called a "Data Dictionary?"
Date
List pgsql-novice
pg_systemtables is PG equivalent of systables in sql server

~Jas

On 5/2/07, Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@yahoo.com > wrote:
Thanks Sean for the link, it is very helpful.  It seems like the PG equievent to Oracles data
dictionary are the pg_systemtables.
--- Sean Davis <sdavis2@mail.nih.gov> wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 May 2007 15:21, Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
> > Many of the ERD and SQL books that have have read refer to a data
> > dictionary.  However, I seem to be missing the point of what it acuatally
> > is.  IIRC, some books refer to it as a kind of document created by a DB
> > designer, and other suggest that it is a kind of RBDMS created metadata.
> >
> > Can anyone please offer a consise description or provide a link to that
> > describes what it is? Also, how is this information useful to a DBA?
>
> Hi, Richard.  I haven't seen this "term" used before.  But here is a link:
>
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2002/10/28/data_dictionary.html
>
> Sean

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster