Re: Changing the name - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Santiago Zarate
Subject Re: Changing the name
Date
Re: Changing the name  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-advocacy
2010/1/22 Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com>:

> I think it would be a great time to change the name of the
> project back to "Postgres", and relegate "PostgreSQL" to
> an official and eternal yet discouraged alias. Why now?
>
> * We're going to version 9.0, which indicates big changes
>
> * We're going to be more visible than ever in the next year:
> ** The EU mentioned us by name

Quoting the EU: "The EU said: The Commission's investigation showed
that another open source database, PostgreSQL, is considered by many
database users to be"

They say PostgreSQL not Postgres...

> ** Many people are looking for MySQL alternatives

Yes, and out there... you find PostgreSQL... on google for example:

 12.600.000 for "postgresql"
 about 1.980.000 for "postgres"

> * We're finally "on the radar" and not just a geeky niche
> database. People outside of tech circles have now heard of it.
> But they still can't pronounce us. :)

Yes, they can (At least the 90% of the ones i know) and they say
Postgre-sql or postgres

> I won't rehash all the arguments for and against a name
> change, but I would like to propose *how* we would do such
> a thing. The most basic would be to simply issue a statement
> such as:
>
> The PostgreSQL project is changing the official name of
> the project from "PostgreSQL" to "Postgres". Postgres has
> been a recognized alias for many years, and is the preferred
> usage by many in the community. The use of PostgreSQL will
> still be used in many places, but over time will be replaced
> by Postgres. Again, both names are acceptable, but Postgres
> is the preferred usage.

Is changing the name really something healty for the project? Besides
"Letting people be able to say the name correctly", is there any
other?... for marketing reasons, i still like PostgreSQL (Anyone who
knows what SQL stands for... will associate the name with something
database related). Besides, putting effort in this will resurt in less
effort for the whole work that is publishing the info for a new
release... (Cause you will only not be talking about how good it is...
but why the name change)...

and the list can grow i gues...

so, big -1 for me