Re: PostgresSQL vs Ingress - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Childs
Subject Re: PostgresSQL vs Ingress
Date
Re: PostgresSQL vs Ingress  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
List pgsql-general

On 30/11/2007, Alexander Staubo <alex@purefiction.net> wrote:
On 11/30/07, Peter Childs <peterachilds@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Now We used somthing called Ingres at University (I graduated in 2000) but
> I've not heard anything about it since and google does not return anything.
> So we might be talking about different products?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingres

Alexander.

I found ingres website but no mention of a database system so I though they were something else that had taken on the name.......

The website seams to suggest a RAD development tool and middleware and use other databases underneath.

In short the current Ingres is related to Postgresql like Xorg is related to XFree86 or Ubuntu to Debian but much much much older.

Wikipeadia also suggests a similar relationship between Posrgresql and SQL Server!

I guess this is one of the benifits of the BSD License.

Peter.