Re: lifetime of the old CTID - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthias Apitz
Subject Re: lifetime of the old CTID
Date
Re: lifetime of the old CTID  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general
El día miércoles, julio 06, 2022 a las 02:33:42p. m. -0500, Ron escribió:

> On 7/6/22 01:18, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> [snip]
> > Ofc, each table has its own primary key(s), used for example for the
> > SELECT ctid, * FROM d01buch WHERE ...
> >
> > As I said, we came to PostgreSQL from Sybase (and Oracle) and Sybase has
> > for each table a so called SYB_IDENTITY_COLUMN which is static for the
> > table and its value does not change.
>
> The DBA who designed that should be flogged for pretending that
> SYB_IDENTITY_COLUMN is a primary key.

Now things are coing to blaming. Nobody said that SYB_IDENTITY_COLUMN
is a primary key, but it is uniqu to identify a row in a table once
known.

    matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045

Peace instead of NATO!  Мир вместо НАТО!  Frieden statt NATO! ¡Paz en vez de OTAN!