Re: SELECT creates millions of temp files in a single directory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter
Subject Re: SELECT creates millions of temp files in a single directory
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 02:11:00PM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
! On 4/23/22 12:50, Peter wrote:
!
!
! >     People seem to have been brainwashed by Web-Services and OLTP,
! >     and now think the working set must always fit in memory. But this
! >     is only one possible usecase, it is not the exclusive only one.
!
! This is no-win situation as most of the complaints in recent years have been
! that Postgres was/is to conservative in its default settings and is not
! taking advantage of newer more powerful hardware.

I know, and You got to the point; this is exactly what I am talking
about: people take the abundance of ressources as granted.

In Rel. 8 postgres was a breathtaking beauty of engineering: the style
of old, driven to perfection.
Now You're gradually sacrificing this, for the speed junkies and to
protect those from mistakes who are not engineers.

And no, I don't know how this could be solved: the more influential
you get, the more driven you are by public demand; the less freedom
you have to follow ideals.

David Johnston thinks we must just not speak that out, we must instead
behave like "the emperor's new clothes", and follow google's
understanding of "positive values".
Sorry, that doesn't work for me.