Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Proposal: Support custom authentication methods using hooks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 04:42:55PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Keeping it around will just push out the point at which everyone will
> finally be done with it, as there's really only two groups: those who
> have already moved to scram, and those who won't move until they want to
> upgrade to a release that doesn't have md5.

FWIW, I am not sure if we are at this point yet.  An extra reason to
remove it would be that it is a support burden, but I don't have seen
in recent memory any problems related to it that required any deep
changes in the way to use it, and its code paths are independent.

The last time I played with this area is the recent error handling
improvement with cryptohashes but MD5 has actually helped here in
detecting the problem as a patched OpenSSL would complain if trying to
use MD5 as hash function when FIPS is enabled.
--
Michael

Attachment