Re: ALTER INDEX .. RENAME allows to rename tables/views as well - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: ALTER INDEX .. RENAME allows to rename tables/views as well
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 06, 2021 at 06:43:25PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> ... as, no doubt, are a lot of applications that this will gratuitously
> break.  We've long had a policy that ALTER TABLE will work on relations
> that aren't tables, so long as the requested operation is sensible.

Yeah, that was my first thought after seeing this thread.  There is a
risk in breaking something that was working previously.  Perhaps it
was just working by accident, but that could be surprising if an
application relied on the existing behavior.
--
Michael

Attachment