Re: Collation version tracking for macOS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Collation version tracking for macOS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 01:50:51PM +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> The new character added to Version 12.1 is:
>
> U+32FF SQUARE ERA NAME REIWA
>
> Version 12.1 adds that single character to enable software to be
> rapidly updated to support the new Japanese era name in calendrical
> systems and date formatting. The new Japanese era name was officially
> announced on April 1, 2019, and is effective as of May 1, 2019."
>
> Wow!

Wow++.  I didn't know this one.

> Wikipedia says[2] "the "rei" character 令 has never appeared before".

At least there was some time ahead to prepare for the switch from "平
成" to "令和".  Things were much "funnier" when the era has switched
from "昭和" to "平成", as the sudden death of the emperor has required
Japan to switch to a new calendar very suddenly back in the day..
I've heard this was quite a mess for folks in IT back then, especially
for public agencies.
--
Michael

Attachment