Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rolf Østvik
Subject Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general
Date
List pgsql-general
jeff_eckermann@yahoo.com (Jeff Eckermann) wrote in
> --- "Gary L. Burnore" <gburnore@databasix.com> wrote:
>> Please.  We're trying to help you fix something
>> that's broken.
>
> ???  As a longstanding reader of the pgsql-
> mailinglists, (including via news.postgresql.org on
> occasion), all I see is some outsiders trying to help
> us "fix" a problem that does not exist.  And yes, I

I think it's a problem. Not a big one, but still a problem.

> have read most of the messages that have passed by in
> these threads.  After all that, I still don't see the
> benefit.
>
> Perhaps that is why these conversations have been
> carried on almost totally by people who do not post to
> the pgsql lists.

Or maybe that some of us longstanding (ok, only 4 years for my part)
readers of pgslq-mailinglist like the proposal and just follow the
discussion.

By the way, from the header of your post i think that the only audience for
your post is those who are members of the mailinglist and not so many
others.

Today everyone can access the news.postgresql.org server and the list is
carried by some other news providers also. The benefit is that all
potential new users would have better possibility of using their preffered
news server to access the groups.
(Well, you may not think that beneficial but i do).

I have seen some discussion about the technicality of gatewaying and of the
filtering of spam which is on post from the news side to the mailinglist
side.
Otherwise haven't I seen any disadvantages with getting some of the groups
"approved".

--
Rolf �stvik