Re: The Tutorial(TM) - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Randolf Richardson
Subject Re: The Tutorial(TM)
Date
List pgsql-docs
"tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane)" wrote in comp.databases.postgresql.docs:

>> I feel that there is a very useful dividing line between chapters 2 and
>> 3: chapter 2 is about getting the data in and out, to give beginners a
>> feeling that the database system is working, chapter 3 is about
>> refining the data structures for higher convenience, maintainability,
>> and integrity -- "design".
>
> Perhaps a reasonable compromise would be to divide the material into 3
> chapters instead of 2 --- beginner, intermediate, advanced.  Looking
> at the existing TOC:
[sNip]

        I think this is a good suggestion.

        To add to this, within the actual content I think it would also be
good to reference the more advanced areas when appropriate.  For example,
at the end of the "creating tables" section could be included:

                See also:  Views (advanced)
                See also:  Foreign keys (intermediate)

--
Randolf Richardson - rr@8x.ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

"We are anti-spammers.  You will confirm