Re: Long running queries and timeouts - Mailing list pgsql-php

From postgresql@finner.de
Subject Re: Long running queries and timeouts
Date
List pgsql-php
On 23-Jan-02 Francisco Reyes sat down, thought for a long time and then
wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Actually, my web developer and I talked about the programming
>> necessary
>>  to do this, and decided that it was easier to break up the
>>  long-running function into 3 smaller functions.  So, no, we don't
>>  have
>>  any sample code.  In fact, we might be willing to buy some code
>>  that
>>  creates a progress bar from someone who does have it ...
>
> I can't imagine a "progress bar". In particular if you are waiting
> for a
> reply from the DB server.

I found a nice one on http://www.lyrics.de! ;-)

It´s just a fake: An animated GIF picture with a progress bar. I think,
they made some statistics on database queries, added 10% and created
the GIF. The result is, that the waiting time seems shorter. Nice.

Correct me anybody please, who can proof that this progress bar is no
fake. I´d like to know this technique, too.

Greetings,
--
Frank Finner

And now there is no turning back at all.
                              (M. Moorcock, "Elric Of Melnibone")"