Re: [ADMIN] Cannot install postgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Roman Kurmanowytsch
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Cannot install postgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-admin
Oliver,

>There is no database called "romkur", because you haven't yet created it.
>
>When initdb is run, it creates a database called template1; this is the
>only database that exists until you create some more.
>
>When you try to connect as a database user, postgres assumes you want
>your eponymous database, unless you tell it different.  So tell it
>you want to connect to template1.

Sorry, I don't get it.

From the postgresql-6.5.2/INSTALL file:
18. $ initdb...
19. Set up permissions to access the database...
20. Briefly test that the backend will start and
    run by running it from the command line.
    a. Start the postmaster daemon running in the
       background by typing
       $ cd
       $ nohup postmaster -i > pgserver.log 2>&1 &

And at this point it crashes. I'm not able to run the postmaster to create
a new db (or access an old one). I am not trying to run psql (which needs
the db name it should access).

Cheers,

Roman

--