Re: Recovering a database - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Steve Spencer
Subject Re: Recovering a database
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Bayley <peterb@homer.com.au> wrote in message
> I had a hard disk crash recently (Those IBM 45Gb drives again) and had to
> reinstall Linux (RedHat 7.2) on the new disk (Seagate)
>
> My question is - how can I tell PostgreSQL (which I've obviously had to
> reinstall) to look at my existing database which was mounted on another
> volume and is still intact.?.  In other words- Can you tell a
> freshly-installed PostgreSQL to use an existing (same version) database?
>
> Thanks In Advance
>
> Peter, Sydney Australia

Peter,   I have not tried this but it is mentioned in the install docs that you
can set and environment variable PGDATA2 I beleive, and this will make
postgres look for the second data directory. I recommend searching for
environment variables in the docs at postgres.org.

Steve..