Re: PL/Perl compilation error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: PL/Perl compilation error
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Alex Guryanow <gav@nlr.ru> writes:
> > [root@eaccess plperl]# perl Makefile.PL
>
> For recent Perl versions you need to do
>         perl Makefile.PL POLLUTE=1
> instead.  The src/pl Makefile would've done it that way for you,
> but it looks like that code patch didn't make it to the docs...
>
> Someone needs to update our Perl code so that it will compile cleanly
> against both newer and not-so-new Perls.  There are notes in our mail
> archives about how to do this (basically "use Devel::PPPort" is the
> long-term answer) but it hasn't gotten to the top of anyone's to-do
> list.
   Can someone eventually enlighten me a little?
   We've    had   problems   like   platform/version   dependant   compilation errors with PL/Tcl in the past too, but
they got   fixed  pretty  quick and a reasonable number of people worked   on that all together.

   We have frequent compilation error reports with  PL/perl  but   nobody seems to be able/willing to do anything about
it.
   PL/perl  was  once  highly  requested feature. Now there is a   code base and lesser experienced programmers  could
continue  the work, but nobody does.

   What  is  the problem with perl? Are there only alot of users   but no hackers? The frequent fail reports suggest
that there   are  folks  who  want  to  have  that  thing running. I can't   believe that a piece of open  source
software, that  is  so   popular, is implemented in such an ugly way that nobody has a   clue how to fix that damned
thing.
   So please tell me why people spend their time  writing  error   reports  again  and  again  instead  of  simply
fixingit and   submitting a patch.

Jan