Re: Cost of XLogInsert CRC calculations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Cost of XLogInsert CRC calculations
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> I suppose that the bulk of the CPU cycles being attributed to XLogInsert
> are going into the inlined CRC calculations.  Maybe we need to think
> twice about the cost/benefit ratio of using 64-bit CRCs to protect xlog
> records that are often only a few dozen bytes.

Isn't the CRC quite important on recovery to recognize where the last
valid log record is?

Is there any better implementations of CRC-64? Would using a different
polynomial help?

Would it help to do the CRC calculation in a more wholesale fashion in
XLogWrite?

How about switching to CRC-32 or even CRC-16? I searched the archives for
the reason CRC-64 was chosen in the first place. It seems that the
difference in computation time was not considered to be significant, and
there was 8 bytes available in the record header anyway.

Just some thoughts...

- Heikki