Re: Sequential Scan with LIMIT - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: Sequential Scan with LIMIT
Date
Re: Sequential Scan with LIMIT
List pgsql-performance
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, John Meinel wrote:

> I was looking into another problem, and I found something that surprised
> me. If I'm doing "SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE col = 'myval' LIMIT 1.".
> Now "col" is indexed...
> The real purpose of this query is to check to see if a value exists in
> the column,...

When you select all the columns, you're going to force it to go to the
table. If you select only the indexed column, it ought to be able to use
just the index, and never read the table at all. You could also use more
standard and more set-oriented SQL while you're at it:

    SELECT DISTINCT(col) FROM mytable WHERE col = 'myval'

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org
     Make up enjoying your city life...produced by BIC CAMERA