Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Jan Wieck wrote:

> With the number of screws our product has, there are so many
> possible combinations that don't work, why worry about one more
> or less?

That's just silly, so I won't even bother replying.

> Seriously, if you move around files, make symlinks or adjust
> config variable to reflect that, there's allways the possibility
> that you fatfinger it and cannot startup.

True. But once your symlink is in place, it is stored on disk in the
postgres data directory. An environment variable is a transient setting
in memory, which means that you have to have a program set it, and you
have to make sure that program gets run before any startup, be it an
automated startup from /etc/rc on boot or a manual startup.

> I want to have it it the config file.

Well, then we're agreed.

cjs
--