Re: Why is MySQL more chosen over PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: Why is MySQL more chosen over PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2 Aug 2002, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Could you point me to some pure relational languages ?
> Preferrably not pure academic at the same time ;)

The QUEL and PostQUEL languages used in Ingres and the old Postgres were
rather more "relational" than SQL.

> BTW, what other parts of SQL do you consider non-relational (and thus
> candidates for dropping) ?

I have nothing particular in mind right now. Also, note that merely
being non-relational does not make a language element a candidate
for dropping.  If lots of other databases implement a feature, it
would be silly to destroy compatability for the sake of theory.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org   Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're
alllight.  --XTC