Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Dann Corbit wrote:

> I have worked as an MS SQL Server DBA (also database designer and
> programmer along with just about anything else that could be done with
> it) and am aware of the difficulties associated with SQL Server.  It's a
> very good product.

Yeah, I agree. Maybe it's good because it was originally built by
Sybase, not MS. :-)

> Customer support is also a big issue comparing free database systems
> with commercial ones.

Ha ha ha ha ha! I've dealt with MS customer support. If you like
spending your first day or two trying to escalate your trouble
ticket past complete losers who don't know half what you do about
SQL Server, their support is OK.

In the end, there's really no substitute for an extremely competent
DBA.  And having source code and direct access to the developers
is a godsend.

> One area where there is a monumental difference is in license fees.  For
> a single corporation, it does not matter.

Even for a single corporation, it can matter. Deploying, say, ten
smallish Oracle servers is not exactly cheap.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org   Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're
alllight.  --XTC