Re: large database on postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: large database on postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Tony Carter wrote:

> My test box is Linux 1ghz Celeron  25MB Ram, 7200rpm IDE drive. I know I
> need SCSI but is there any tuning I can do to speed this up?

Actually, you may not need SCSI. So long as you make sure each IDE
drive has its own controller, IDE should be pretty near as good,
and a lot cheaper.  (Or, for the same price, better, since you can
get more drives for X dollars than you can with SCSI.)

I'm about to build a 10-disk system using a 3Ware Escalade 7850
IDE RAID controller. (System/logs on a mirrored pair of IDE disks
on the on-board controllers and data on an 8-disk RAID on the
Escalade.) I'll let everyone know how it goes.

cjs