Re: That CREATE OPERATOR CLASS patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bill Studenmund
Subject Re: That CREATE OPERATOR CLASS patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=Pine.LNX.4.30.0202262002040.685-100000%40peter.localdomain&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dcreate%2Boperator%2Bgroup:comp.databases.postgresql.*%26hl%3Den%26selm%3DPine.LNX.4.30.0202262002040.685-100000%2540peter.localdomain%26rnum%3D2

> I asked the author to resumit but did not see a reply.  Perhaps someone
> else can take it over and make the requested changes.  Thanks.

Yeah, the problem is:

1) the author was (is) feeling a bit burnt out over successive battles
over the command syntax. I proposed it, and Tom said, "that syntax sucks
[which it verily did], try this." So I did "this" and got the patch that
is lying around. Then when 7.3 was done, someone else chimed in (I think
it was Peter) that it should be different. While the newer-yet command
syntax is better, *why wasn't it proposed the first time we went through
this on hackers?* It's frustrating to ask, "what should I do," do it, and
then get told, "no, that's not right." I mean, now, how do I know that
once I get a new version ready, it won't get revised *again*?

2) I now work at a new job, which is taking up lots of my time doing other
things. It's really cool, but PostgreSQL hacking isn't a paid part of it
(like it was at Zembu). In a few weeks I can probably get time to update
this, but if Christopher wants to work on it, go for it.

Take care,

Bill