Re: [HACKERS] postgres initdb on ALPHA/Digital Unix - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] postgres initdb on ALPHA/Digital Unix
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> > >       I hate to sound stupid, but an Ultra1...that's a 64bit machine?
> > > If so, then I too have been running it on a 64bit machine, with absolutely
> > > no problems, for almost 6 months now...
> >
> > Yup, see http://www.sun.com/sparc/Net.Engine/ for more info.....
>
> I'm not familiar with the 64-bit Sparc machines, but is it possible that
> the OS and compilers default to a 32-bit mode? I believe that they did
> at one time...

    I got a private email stating that it isn't until v2.6 that the
OS actually starts to really use the 64bit stuff (I'm summarizing
here)...I'm doing my testing on both x86 and sparc v2.6, and so far, no
noticeable problems...