Re: Moving pg_xlog to another drive - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ben
Subject Re: Moving pg_xlog to another drive
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Ben wrote:
>> I'm trying to move my WAL to another drive, but am having difficulties with
>> this seemingly simple process. Every time I start up with pg_xlog symlinked
>> to my other drive, I get this:
>>
>> FATAL:  could not open file "pg_xlog/00000001.history": Permission denied
>>
>> If I move pg_xlog back into its normal place then things work fine. The
>> postgres user can certainly create files when using the symlink, so I
>> really don't think it's a permission issue... but I'm at a loss as to what
>> else it might be.
>
> Is the parent directory of the place you are moving pg_xlog to a place that
> the postgres user can enter?

Sorry, yes, I neglected to mention that the postgres user can enter every
directory along the path to the new pg_xlog directory. In addition,
pg_xlog remains owned by postgres.postgres, as does its parent directory,
and the new pg_xlog directory has permissions of 0700.

So I really can't see why it would be a permission issue.