Upgrade Process - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Upgrade Process
Date
List pgsql-general
   Unlike my previous upgrade from the 7.4.x series to the 8.1.x series, I
now have all data in /var/lib/pgsql/data. Currently running 8.1.4 on my
Slackware system and want to upgrade to 8.2.4, so I'm checking my procedure
before inadvertently creating major problems for myself.

   What I believe should work -- and I'd like conformation or corrections,
please -- is the following:

   1) Run 'pg_dumpall > pg8.1.4.sql' as user postgres.
   2) Stop the running postmaster as root.
   3) Upgrade the Slackware package to 8.2.4 as root.
   4) Restart the postmaster as root.
   5) Run 'psql -f pg8.1.4.sql postgres' as user postgres.

   Have I missed a critical step? The upgrade will replace the existing files
with the new ones in the same directories.

TIA,

Rich