Re: Using MS Access front-end with PG] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: Using MS Access front-end with PG]
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Postgres User wrote:

> Oleg,
>
> This looks like a great module, do you have a pointer to it in English?

unfortunately, no.

> If can send this module to me as a compressed file, I'll take the time
> to post it on PgFoundry as a new project that everyone can easily
> access and download.

it can not be a contrib module, since index support for LIKE requires
core patching. Just download
http://v8.1c.ru/overview/postgresql_patches/1c_FULL_81-0.11.patch,
it contains contrib/mchar module.

> Paul- if you go with the lower() edits route, be sure to note Joshua's
> coment on the funcional index- one of the best, unknown features in
> PG.
>
> On 4/3/07, Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> wrote:
>> Paul,
>>
>> we have contrib module mchar, which does what you need. We developed it
>> when porting from MS SQL one very popular in Russia accounting software.
>> It's available from http://v8.1c.ru/overview/postgres_patches_notes.htm,
>> in Russian. I don't rememeber about license, though.
>>

>> Oleg

>> > I'm trying to avoid having to alter all of my queries, per the OP I've
>> got
>> > several hundred if not thousands of them and if I have to change them all
>> > put lower() around all the text, that is a lot of time.
>> >
>> > If I have to do that I will, I'm just curious if there was an ability to
>> tell
>> > pg to not be case sensitive when doing lookups.
>> >
>> > Judging by the responses so far, there is not... so I'll get to work :)
>> >

>>        Regards,
>>                Oleg
>> Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
>> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
>> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
>> phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83