Re: strange performance regression between 7.4 and 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff Frost
Subject Re: strange performance regression between 7.4 and 8.1
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Alex Deucher wrote:

>> effective_cache_size
>> read/write
>> >
>> > yes it's set to the default.

>> >                   ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input-
>> > --Random-
>> >                   -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block--
>> > --Seeks--
>> > Machine        Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP
>> /sec
>> > %CP
>> > luna12-san   16000M 58896  91 62931   9 35870   5 54869  82 145504 13
>> 397.7
>> > 0
>> >

>> So, you're getting 62MB/s writes and 145MB/s reads.  Just FYI, that write
>> speed is about the same as my single SATA drive write speed on my
>> workstation,
>> so not that great.  The read speed is decent, though and with that sort of
>> read performance, you might want to lower random_page_cost to something
>> like
>> 2.5 or 2 so the planner will tend to prefer index scans.
>>

> Right, but the old box was getting ~45MBps on both reads and writes,
> so it's an improvement for me :)  Thanks for the advice, I'll let you
> know how it goes.

Do you think that is because you have a different interface between you and
the SAN?  ~45MBps is pretty slow - your average 7200RPM ATA133 drive can do
that and costs quite a bit less than a SAN.

Is the SAN being shared between the database servers and other servers?  Maybe
it was just random timing that gave you the poor write performance on the old
server which might be also yielding occassional poor performance on the new
one.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner     <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com>
Frost Consulting, LLC     http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/