Re: Only MONO/WinForms is a way to go - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Only MONO/WinForms is a way to go
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Tony Caduto wrote:

> The reason there is no highly productive IDE for Linux/Mac with a nice
> forms designer and robust data binding is because in the grand scheme of
> things there are not a lot of desktop users for anything other than win32.
> Sure there are lots of geeks that use Linux for their desktop, but not
> everyday users.

   Hello? Where have you been the past few years? This is one of the most
amusing mis-statements I've read in a long time.

   I know a software engineer with more than 25 years experience who works
with the KDE IDE for multi-language development, and he deploys these
applications on multiple platforms.

   But, wait, ... you'd classify him with the geeks.

   How about municiple workers in Munich, Germany? Are they not everyday
non-geeks? The city dumped Microsoft for linux a couple of years ago. So
havs Brazil, China, and a host of other countries. Many schools -- including
a large number in Oregon and Washington -- run linux for both students and
administrators using the Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP/K12).

   Well, that's enough. If you look around you, you'll recognize how silly
that reads. At least, I hope that you do.

Rich