Re: buildfarm - make check failures for leveret on 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeremy Drake
Subject Re: buildfarm - make check failures for leveret on 8.0
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> > *) why the large difference in the build-flags ?
>
> CVS HEAD configure.in knows about icc and the release branches don't.
> I think the changes were only put into HEAD because of lack of testing,
> but if we have buildfarm coverage I think it'd be OK to back-port the
> configure logic to the prior branches.  Any objections?

I sent the original patch.  I just sent it for HEAD because a) I could
still deal with previous branches by editing Makefile.global by hand after
configure, b) I reconfigured older branches seldom enough compared to
HEAD that it didn't bother me nearly as much, and c) I figured it would be
more readily accepted into HEAD than trying to get it back-ported.  Also I
was not sure about the acceptance of such things into back branches, since
it may be interpreted that supporting a new compiler is a "new feature"
and most projects don't like to add new features to old releases.

martin@bdsi.com (no longer valid - where are you now, Martin?)-- from /usr/src/linux/drivers/cdrom/mcd.c