Re: Replaying archived wal files after a dump restore? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jeff Frost
Subject Re: Replaying archived wal files after a dump restore?
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> Please don't reply to existing threads to start new ones. That is probably why
> your message didn't get any replies.

Point taken, but fortunately, Simon got back to me and essentially indicated
that I was out of luck.

> On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 11:25:25 -0700,
>  Jeff Frost <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com> wrote:
>> Is it at all possible to manually replay archived WAL files after restoring
>> from a pg_dump dumpfile?
>
> You probably want to look at:
> http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/backup-online.html
>
> That is from the soon to be released 8.1 documentation. PITR is available
> in 8.0, but I believe there were enhancements made to the tools for using
> it in 8.1.

Unfortunately, diffing the 8.0.4 docs against the 8.1 docs shows almost no
useful differences.  I was mostly hoping someone with knowledge of the WAL
internal format could tell me how to extract the transactions from some and
manually replay them in the db via psql with lots of copy/paste action.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner     <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com>
Frost Consulting, LLC     http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/