Re: PostgreSQL 8.1.0 RHEL / Debian incompatible packages - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Devrim GUNDUZ
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.1.0 RHEL / Debian incompatible packages
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Richard van den Berg wrote:

> I just tried to move my database files over from a CentOS 4.2 (RHEL AS 4
> clone) machine to Debian 3.1. Unfortunately, the server complains:
>
> 2005-12-07 11:55:04 CET FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
> 2005-12-07 11:55:04 CET DETAIL:  The database cluster was initialized
> without HAVE_INT64_TIMESTAMP but the server was compiled with
> HAVE_INT64_TIMESTAMP.
> 2005-12-07 11:55:04 CET HINT:  It looks like you need to recompile or
> initdb.
>
> The message is clear enough, but I'm kinda disappointed because I am
> using the official packages for both distribution:

Well, this is because Debian packages are built
with --enable-integer-datetimes. However we don't build the RPMs with
that. This has been proposed before AFAIR, but it has been rejected.

So you should dump/reload I think, or rebuild our SRPM
with --enable-integer-datetimes enabled.

Regards,