Re: Hardware upgraded but performance still ain't good - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From David Lang
Subject Re: Hardware upgraded but performance still ain't good
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Stephen Frost wrote:

> * David Lang (david@lang.hm) wrote:
>> there's a huge difference between 'works on debian' and 'supported on
>> debian'. I do use debian extensivly, (along with slackware on my personal
>> machines), so i am comfortable getting things to work. but 'supported'
>> means that when you run into a problem you can call for help without being
>> told 'sorry, switch distros, then call us back'.
>
> Have you ever actually had that happen?  I havn't and I've called
> support for a number of different issues for various commercial
> software.  In the end it might boil down to some distribution-specific
> issue that they're not willing to fix but honestly that's pretty rare.

unfortunantly I have, repeatedly with different products.

if you can manage to get past the first couple of levels of support to
people who really understand things rather then just useing checklists you
are more likly to get help, but even there I've run into people who seem
eager to take the easy way out by assuming that it must be a distro thing
rather then anything with their product (even in cases where it ended up
being a simple config thing)

David Lang