Re: Database restore speed - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From David Lang
Subject Re: Database restore speed
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Luke Lonergan wrote:

> And how do we compose the binary data on the client?  Do we trust that
> the client encoding conversion logic is identical to the backend's?  If
> there is a difference, what happens if the same file loaded from
> different client machines has different results?  Key conflicts when

the same way you deal with text data that could be in different encodings,
you tag your message with the format version you are useing and throw an
error if you get a format you don't understand how to deal with.

if a client claims to be useing one format, but is instead doing something
different you will be in deep trouble anyway.

remember, we aren't talking about random application code here, we are
talking about postgres client code and libraries, if the library is
incorrect then it's a bug, parsing bugs could happen in the server as
welll. (in fact, the server could parse things to the intermediate format
and then convert them, this sounds expensive, but given the high clock
multipliers in use, it may not end up being measurable)

David Lang