Re: Opteron vs Xeon (Was: What to do with 6 disks?) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff Frost
Subject Re: Opteron vs Xeon (Was: What to do with 6 disks?)
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> I don't know about 2.5x faster (perhaps on specific types of loads), but the
> reason Opterons rock for database applications is their insanely good memory
> bandwidth and latency that scales much better than the Xeon.  Opterons also
> have a ccNUMA-esque I/O fabric and two dedicated on-die memory channels *per
> processor* -- no shared bus there, closer to real UNIX server iron than a
> glorified PC.

Thanks J!  That's exactly what I was suspecting it might be.  Actually, I
found an anandtech benchmark that shows the Opteron coming in at close to 2.0x
performance:

http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2163&p=2

It's an Opteron 150 (2.4ghz) vs. Xeon 3.6ghz from August.  I wonder if the
differences are more pronounced with the newer Opterons.

-Jeff