Re: Tsearch2 update for Win32. - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Fabien COELHO
Subject Re: Tsearch2 update for Win32.
Date
List pgsql-patches
Dear Magnus,

>> Oh.  Hmm ... wouldn't it be easier and safer to launch "psql <script"
>> as a subprocess?
>
> I'd say no. Executing processes from the installer environment can be a
> headache (we've had enough problems with initdb already..). And you have
> to go through all the weirdness with the commandline quoting etc on
> win32... It's a lot easier to execute a SQL script line-by-line. Which
> also lets us trap the errors easier etc.

Maybe you're suggesting that psql and other commands functionnalities
should be made into some kind of a dynamic library to be loaded and called
from the installer, if using an external program is so difficult on win32?

I used to think that windows was posix somehow, so that it should provide
some 'exec*' functions which do not rely on shell scripting and should
not require much quoting.

Partially replicating functionnalities and adding bugs or limitations to
them does not seem so good a idea from a software engineering perspective.

Well, just my 0.02 EUR. I think it is a good thing that pg is available on
windows, so thanks for that anyway!

Have a nice day,

--
Fabien.