Re: RAID arrays and performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Matthew
Subject Re: RAID arrays and performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Gregory Stark wrote:
> Fwiw, what made you bring up this topic now? You're the second person in about
> two days to bring up precisely this issue and it was an issue I had been
> planning to bring up on -hackers as it was.

I only just joined the performance mailing list to talk about R-trees. I
would probably have brought it up earlier if I had been here earlier.
However, we're thinking of buying this large machine, and that reminded
me.

I have been biting at the bit for my bosses to allow me time to write an
indexing system for transient data - a lookup table backed by disc,
looking up from an integer to get an object, native in Java. Our system
often needs to fetch a list of a thousand different objects by a key like
that, and Postgres just doesn't do that exact thing fast. I was going to
implement it with full asynchronous IO, to do that particular job very
fast, so I have done a reasonable amount of research into the topic. In
Java, that is. It would add a little bit more performance for our system.
That wouldn't cover us - we still need to do complex queries with the same
problem, and that'll have to stay in Postgres.

Matthew

--
The early bird gets the worm. If you want something else for breakfast, get
up later.